Friday, March 31, 2006

Childcare at conferences

Super quick post:

Peskowitz on childcare at conference.

I'm going to a conference next week, and they sent out an email to participants offering to organize cooperative childcare. If you want to have care for your children, then you sign up for a couple of hours to work in the childcare area. Those who use the service also provide the service. That could be a great way to provide help to parents who need to bring their kids along, but it also has the potential to fail due to lack of participation. If only a few participants want childcare, then only a few people will be covering hours. Having one contact person organize it helps. The more often these kinds of services are offered, the more often people will consider taking their kids along to conferences, making it easier for everybody to make the parent/career thing work. I took RB with me once, but I also brought my husband along and she was still small enough to strap to my chest. I'm going to a big conference for several days in May and I would not consider bringing her with me now. We're still figuring out how everything is going to work--I'm sure I'll have a lot on that in the next two months.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! THis is weird. You're writing about Me again!!

I've been stressed out all day wondering what to do with my kid for big conference in May. (You aren't, by any chance, going to K'zoo, are you?)

I couldn't find anything on the website about childcare. I have a great-aunt in the area, hoping she can suggest someone. I also thought of calling a local church. *shrug* I don't know!!!! I also thought of leaving super early the day I'm presenting, and then taking the last flight back. So that I wouldn't be staying overnight. And would just get some friends to help with the boy while my husband is at work. I don't kNOW!!!!

Sorry. I guess I don't have to spill all my anxiety onto your blog. :-) Let me know if you have solutions.

Dr. Peters said...

Jeanette, You are welcome to spill your anxiety onto my blog! (And no, not going to K'zoo)

I hadn't thought about local churches--that's a good idea. You might contact the conference chair and ask about childcare. But most likely, it's not provided. I've heard of people handling this issue in all sorts of ways, all relying on helpful friends at the conference.

I hate going to a conference only for the day I present--I am definitely staying a few days in May but my husband works such crazy hours, it's not going to be easy to negotiate. I'm only going for the day I present next week--it's only three hours away--but I'm staying over one night as a practice run for later--trying to prepare all of us--I've never been away from her overnight--this will be my first conference since Sept. 2004.

Good luck, and welcome to the blog--I've got you in my Google Reader!

Anonymous said...

Issue resolved for the moment:
My wonderful great-aunt who I haven't seen in years called on Saturday, "We'll pick you up at the airport, you can stay with us, we'll take care of your baby, we'll take care of you while you're here..." Thank you, wonderful distant relatives!!

Yea, some churchs have like "mother's day out" kind of stuff or daycare/preschool things. And typically churches are the kind of places that don't turn strangers down. It just occurred to me, though I've never looked into it myself. *shrug*

Enjoying yr blog so far! :-) (Of course I am, it's all about me. heh, heh)