Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Reflections on academic(s) blogging

So I’ve seen things called “memes” floating around in the blogosphere, and this one caught my attention because it is specifically regarding pseudonymity and academic(s) blogging. Here are a couple from ABDmom and Anastasia. These blogs introduce interesting questions that we academic bloggers have to think about, questions that are at the forefront of my mind as I try to establish my blog and consider its purpose.

I am attempting to preserve a fair amount of anonymity and un-Google-ability, but I keep outing myself as a blogger, sometimes even sharing my URL with people I know. I’ve told people about my blog because I’m excited about its prospects and what I will learn through this process, but I have received mixed responses. Some people are supportive and interested and want to discuss it with me (and these people usually turn out to be bloggers themselves!) and others have had negative responses. Blogs are still very questionable, mostly because a lot of people are doing really stupid things on their blogs. It seems as if in the academic world just having a blog, regardless of its content, can be detrimental to your reputation. Journaling doesn’t seem to carry the same stigma, probably because it doesn’t have the same kind of exhibitionist tinge to it.

So what am I doing here, really? Besides the weak guise of preparing to address blogging issues in my future Tech Writing class. I’m not (usually) trying to waste time. I do have an intellectual interest in electronic communities and self-fashioning. And I have a general interest in technology. But I also feel like there is a place for the things I have to say and there are people who want to read them. As I suspected I would, I immediately found a large network of academic moms blogging for themselves and each other.

I do not want this to be a place for me to complain about the hoops of grad school or the juggling act that is the life of a career mom. That’s boring and I already have plenty of that IRL. I don’t intend to write about anything that could potentially damage my career. I’m writing as if everyone I know is reading this. So the purpose of my anonymity is really just the Google-ability factor.

I think that academics have a lot to gain from blogging and virtual communities. We work in the realm of ideas, and the possibilities for trying out and developing our thoughts and building an intellectual community that is diverse and always accessible seem to be limitless. That's what I hope for in this blog. And maybe some advice on potty training.

No comments: