Sunday, August 27, 2006

A different sort of first day of school

Tomorrow is the first day of school, and I am teaching technical writing online. I have the jitters I always get before the first day of school even though I will not be speaking in front of anyone. Part of it is because I am excited, but I am also anticipating a lot of "freaking out" emails from students. Here's why.

I did not design this course. Rather it is a "canned" course that provides consistent content across many sections with different instructors and also serves to train new instructors in the course management program (we're using Moodle). The course is designed to train the students to use the course tools as they complete steps in the first assignment. I think that is an excellent way of going about it--much more efficient and effective than trying to show them the nuts and bolts in the first week and expecting them to remember. The problem I foresee is that students are going to want the nuts and bolts on the first day. And I don't actually have all of that down, myself. I am going through a similar training in the process of teaching that will show me how things work shortly before I need them. So I expect a barage of questions, some of which I will not be able to answer. I expect high anxiety for the first few weeks.

I recorded a podcast last week with all the stuff I normally say on the first day of class and a little bit of here's this and here's that. That was fun, and I like that my students will hear my voice and see my photo. I don't want them to feel all alone. I really like the personal contact I have with students in a traditional classroom, and that will be quite different this semester. I won't see as many of them in my office, I'm sure. But as one who enjoys the blogging community, I am confident that personalities will make it through the electronic interface and personal connections will be made. I am excited to see how.

No comments: