Monday, February 12, 2007

more insights from the child

Yesterday, RB said to me, "You're my mommy-baby-sister." Even though she talks to her unborn sister and even tells her, "Stop kicking Mommy, Annabelle," she still thinks of us as a package deal. It made me think of the concept of maternal-fetal conflict and how before ultrasounds could project images of fetuses separate from mothers, the mother and the unborn child could not really be imagined as separate individuals. I do love the technology available to me to let me hear my baby's heart and even see her face before she's born. But I also prefer to think of us still as one unit. We share a body, blood, nutrients, everything. One day she'll be a separate person, but for now we are "mommy-baby-sister" all in one.

And I love when my toddler gives me such wonderful insight into how she understands the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's lovely. I like it very much.

from the realm of the not so insightful, mine told me yesterday she had contacted her unborn sister by phone.

Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

Sweet. Very sweet. She is going to be an awesome big sister.

Lilian said...

Oh, that was such a lovely thing to hear! I love to remember how it felt to be pregnant. I miss it now :(