Friday, February 16, 2007

Updates on health, writing, and booties

I called the nurse and she said that most adults don't get Fifth disease even when caring for a child who has it (RB's cheeks turned bright red last night, illustrating why it is called "slapped face disease"). So they don't want me to come in unless I have flu symptoms or a rash. Because if I do have it, there's nothing they can do, anyway. It still bothers me because I have the internet at my fingertips and the late pregnancy insomnia and I read all the terrible things that can happen to a fetus if the mother has Fifth disease. And I have all of the symptoms, except a rash, because my allergies are going crazy right now and my joints are sore from the pregnancy. So how do I know the difference between allergy sick and pregnancy sick and actual disease sick? I thought I'd feel better if I went to the doctor, but I actually feel better because the doctor doesn't want to see me. She's not worried, so I won't worry. Much.

As for the peanut butter, we've eaten half a jar and we have no signs of food poisoning, so we'll just assume it's all clear and I'll go buy some Jif today. Somehow knowing that I am not supposed to eat the peanut butter makes me really want to eat some peanut butter.

And after my moment of blog catharsis yesterday, I wrote three solid pages. Maybe I can do that again today. I tried to work after RB went to bed, but I was just too tired to think that hard. And too busy researching all my potentially devastating ailments.

I declare that the evenings will now be devoted to booties, and I will not feel guilty about it for one moment.

3 comments:

AcadeMama said...

Hooray for guilt-free booty making!!! :-)

Amy Reads said...

Hi Mommy PhD,
Yay on writing, on guilt-free booties, and boo on ickle sickies and strange-sounding diseases (I did read up on Fifth Disease after you mentioned it, and what I found most frightening was the unidentifiable Fourth Disease doctors still know nothing about!!!). Feel better, yeah?
Ciao,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Damon said the same thing about the peanut butter. We had the extra large jar and had gone through about 3/4 of it. Last night he said all he wanted was peanut butter. But this is coming from someone who really wanted to eat McDonald's after immediately after watching Super Size Me.

Sorry your allergies are bothering you. Mine are killing me - mainly from being out in the cold windy nights watching parades.