Monday, May 15, 2006

Prioritizing

What do I do now?

  • Continue my project of outlining patterns in my reading lists?
  • Actually finish reading the things I have left?
  • Revise my dissertation proposal?
  • Turn my 25-page seminar paper into an 8-page conference paper? (wow--that's going to be tough)
  • Create an excuse to go somewhere to be seen in my new haircut?

As for the diss proposal, my advisor posed some very hard questions about a particular that would require some serious intellectual history before he will even let me submit the proposal and I am now doubting whether such work will even produce an outcome that is worth the effort. It might just lead to a fairly obvious conclusion--specifically that religious passion and sexual passion are often conflated. Duh. So now I'm thinking that I will eliminate that chapter, address the issue as it appears in relation to issues in other chapters, and split two topics that I had combined in another chapter. I had proposed a chapter on mothers and children together under the theme of family, but now I think that I should have two chapters, one on children and coming of age and another on motherhood, which will also touch on marriage.

1 comment:

Marylee Young said...

I think prioritizing things can really help in anything that you need to do. It would help you organize and get the things done on time. Like for example your master dissertation topic proposal, having the right time for it can help your finished it on time, and not cram when the deadline is near that would make your paper look like it was rushed. Anyway, how’s the paper, Sarah?