Sunday, June 18, 2006

42

After writing my last post, I read the questions on my written exam again hoping for an epiphany. And all I got was the uncomfortable realization that I'm facing something very much like that presented in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is 42. So what's the question?

As I sit here and ponder
the question of interdisciplinarity...
the question of representation...
the question of otherness...
I can't help but think that Douglas Adams was onto something.

P.S. Microsoft Word doesn't recognize interdisciplinarity as a word. Or otherness. Or liminal. I use those words a lot. Yes, I know I can add them to my dictionary, but I really enjoy bitching about it. Plus I regularly use, like, five different computers, so I will inevitably be annoyed by it at some point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how correct you are! that answer is 42-an answer that my rhetorical theory study group would often put when we didn't know the real answer, which was usually the same question since we studied together, prompting Dr. Duncan to wonder if we were all cheating in an idiotic, not getting the answer kind of way.