Friday, June 30, 2006

Back to civilization and high speed internet

I'm back home now after a very nice visit with family and way too long in the car. But the blog will not get much attention for a few more days. I am preparing for my first day of class--teaching an upper level literature class for the first time--and I have to make sure everything is together today because of the holiday next week. During the four-day weekend, I'm going to have to try to pack up the house while RB tries to unpack it. We're moving a week from Saturday. I'm pleased with the new house so far. Hopefully I will remain happy once we get all of our stuff in there. My hubby M. is picking up the keys today and the electricity will be turned on Wednesday. But I was taking prelims right before going on vacation so guess how much is packed and ready to move. Neither M. nor I have time to deal with this right now, but such is life.

We are also feeling the money crunch that accompanies moving. We have to pay deposits and overlapping rent and renting a U-Haul. Who knows what is going to happen with the internet or how much we're going to pay (this has been my biggest worry in the decision to move to a small town). We need a new washing machine and a refrigerator. We also need a new entertainment center for the living room. I would really like to buy RB a bed--the ones I like are plentiful and cheap right now because of college students moving season, but we just don't have the money to buy it. But we are buying her a nice big birthday present. We don't typically do big, expensive gifts, but I want her to have a toy kitchen. I think she will love it and any future children we have will also love it. Oh, and I think that I should buy three-shelf bookcases to replace my five-shelf book cases. Because the bookcases will no longer be in a closed-off room, I am afraid that RB might climb on them and knock them over. The shorter ones seem less likely to fall and less likely to cause serious injury if they do. M. thinks he can anchor the tall bookcases to the wall, but they are really cheap and I just don't see how a screw in an inch-thick piece of particle board is going to help anything. I think that I can wait on the bookcases--I have already packed my books and have labeled them carefully so that I can dig through boxes and find them. So I can just have boxes of books until I get my regular salary again in the fall.

It seems like every summer the increase in expenses is inversely proportional to the decrease in income.

2 comments:

L said...

Hi, I guess I haven't commented before. I'm yet another ABD mom (with two sons, 2 and 4). I really wanted my sons to have a toy kitchen, but they're just too expensive for us (they do have a cheap and flimsy one that my mom brought from Brazil). I also wanted them to have one of those big plastic houses, i love the Step 2 ones - no money for that either. I totally share your concerns, though now that my husband's a post-doc and I'm not working, we have a steady (if meager) income.

Oh, and I think I'll add you to my blog roll (hopefully I won't forget - I'm really forgetful since I've had the second baby)...

Dr. Peters said...

Glad to hear from you, Lilian. You're on my blogroll, as well. :) I'll be posting an update on the toy kitchen--I am very excited about it, even though I should not be spending the money on it.