Thursday, June 01, 2006

a post about marriage

Last night I said something that surprised my husband, and then he responded in a way that surprised me. What was said is not as important here as that we were surprised.

You know how in the first year of a relationship you talk all the time and tell all kinds of interesting stories and every day learn more about each other? Then after a while, you have a sense that you know that person well, that you have unique insight into his psyche. That is very comfortable and secure and good, but it can also lead to taking a lot for granted, expecting your partner to be the same person he was five years ago, even if you realize that you are not. And assuming that you understand everything about him, that you have seen all that he is and know all that he will be.

Last night, after each of us said something that surprised the other, my husband and I stayed up late talking for hours, revealing things about ourselves that we had never talked about before. We learned a lot about each other again. And today I feel a little bit like I am falling in love. With my husband. How great is that?

1 comment:

Scrivener said...

That is, indeed, really, really great.