Tuesday, December 05, 2006

fathering

Supadiscomama has a nice post on fatherhood, which has inspired yet another post on work-family conflict. I certainly do not disagree with Supadiscomama. Yes, I think that we need to change our assumption that mothers are better at parenting than fathers in order to get away from the expectation that women are the primary caregivers. Something revolutionary needs to happen in the realm of men's work before this can be possible.

My friends can attest to an equitable division of home labor in their families, but they are lucky women, indeed. Such is not the case in my home, and it is not because my husband and I ascribe to old ideals about gendered work. It is because the world around us still holds those ideals. Men, including fathers, are expected to perform as ideal workers more than women. There is much less tolerance for men taking paternity leave or going home early to be with family or taking off work to care for sick children. My husband has one of those jobs that depends on my availability to do most of the work at home, including child care. He's not a high-powered executive chasing the almighty dollar. He's a restaurant manager. At all income levels, those jobs are the norm, not the exception.

Here is where choice rhetoric comes in--he has chosen that career and he could choose one that is more family friendly. But, of course, it's not nearly so simple to drop everything and start over in a new career with no experience. And he has paid a "daddy tax" by acting out of that ideal worker norm. When he chose to relocate so I could go to school, he lost a promotion and all his seniority, which means he has been in the same position for years and has lost some long-term income potential. And it will happen again after I graduate and ask him, once again, to quit his job in favor of mine.

My husband wants to care for our child, and I have left her alone with him while I have gone to conferences (but admittedly, I am nervous when I do). He is a good father, and he is involved with our child's life. And he cleans the house and does the dishes from time to time (someone has to--I am not a good housekeeper). But I am the one in charge of managing our home, making sure all the bills are paid and the clothes are washed and the groceries are bought. And I am RB's primary caregiver. It's not the way we would choose it to be if it were really our choice. It's the way that his job demands his time and mine allows for much more flexibility.

5 comments:

supadiscomama said...

I think that's partially the point of hooks's argument. If fathers were socially valued as parents in the same way that mothers are--which, as you stated, would require a revolutionary change in current attitudes--the pressures on men to fulfill an economic role would no longer take priority over their roles as nurturers.

supadiscomama said...

And I am very aware that Supadiscodaddy and I are in a unique position in terms of our ability to really share parental and household responsibilities. I only hope that we are able to maintain this balance when we complete our degrees and begin our careers in academia (assuming we both get jobs!). We may find ourselves having to make similar choices to the ones you have faced.

LeLe said...

I think a lot of guys are in the situation your husband is in, Sarah. My husband, for instance, is not too thrilled with his job; and lacking experience, he has little choice as to where to go without resorting to manual labor (which is respectable, but not for my husband). Until he finished his degree, God-willing, he will not have that great of a selection of jobs. And I'm sure we will probably have children before he is finished. Some men make sacrifices while their wives are working on their career goals because it is more feasible at that time (this is also admirable). But there are probably more women out there who sacrifice for the sake of their family's health and well-being. In an ideal world, our society would respect both parent's involvement in parenting...but alas, we do not live in an ideal world.

M said...

I think you're right, Sarah. The primary reason C and I are able to have such an equal division of labor is the career path we have chosen. If C were still working ship construction (which he did to support himself as an undergrad and a master's student) our life would be much, much different in terms of our labor division. I agree with Supadiscomama as well. If our society valued fatherhood as much as it values motherhood, we all might be in a different situation.

L said...

I have to write about this too soon, I just haven't had the time yet. My husband is as good with the children as me (actually better in disciplining) -- he does everything except breastfeeding (of course!). And he's much better cleaning the house than me... I feel quite lucky.