Thursday, October 12, 2006

positive birth experience CAN happen in a hospital

I just read Anne Drapkin Lyerly's "Shame, Gender, Birth" (Hypatia 21:3 (2006): 101-18), and it is the best piece on feminist childbirth I have ever read. I definitely think that feminists need to take on issues of childbirth and that frequently the medicalization of pregnancy and childbirth has caused anxiety, physical and emotional pain, and even trauma in some women. But I am not comfortable with most of the articles I've read proposing solutions to these problems because they all seem to want to reject technology and take birth totally out of the hospital. That's fine for some women, but not for everyone. I feel a sense of security in a hospital setting, and I would feel frightened and anxious giving birth in any other place. So clearly it is not a good solution for me. As Lyerly points out, the emotional life of each women needs to be taken into account to help make her birth experience positive. And she says that technology is not all bad--finally! The real key is the sensitive use of technology--sensitive to the desires and emotions of the birthing woman. And that all comes down to the support around her.

I had a highly medicated birth--pitocin to induce contractions because my water was leaking, then Stadol for the pain (I actually didn't like that and will choose not to use it again), and then (hooray!) the epidural. And episiotomy. Lots of medical intervention. And it was actually a pretty great experience because the people around me were sensitive to my needs and desires and cared for me in the way that I personally needed. My nurse was fantastic--very nurturing and reassuring. They allowed my parents to come into the labor room so that in the long waiting period, I was relaxed and happy with my family around me. Then I could choose who got to stay and who had to leave when I started pushing. I am also very appreciative of my anesthesiologist--she gave me an epidural that ensured that I felt no pain but that I did feel all of the contractions and even the baby moving down and out. At all times I felt like I had control of the situation and that my caregivers respected me. And because the epidural was applied with what I consider a great deal of sensitivity, I never felt a distance from the experience of birth that might come with total numbness. I always knew what was going on. I strongly believe that this is the key to a positive birth experience--not more or less technology, not in or out of hospital, but caregivers who earnestly listen to the birthing woman and try to provide the care that makes her comfortable, secure, and happy.

6 comments:

Dana and Nick said...

We had similar (medicated) birth experiences, Sarah, and, like you, I was ultimately very happy with mine. If I had it to do all over again, I really would do it the same way. I felt that I was well cared for by the hospital staff, as was my baby. And the drugs were great (with the exception of the stadol)! :)

Courtney said...

I had a 39 hour labor with my first child. I was pretty gung-ho on no medical interventions, but by hour 24, I had changed my mind. :) You're right: I think it's important to recognize that interventions can serve a very useful purpose and if they are employed sensitively, with the full understanding and cooperation of the mother, can make the birth process better. I did not feel bullied by the medical "experts" into a particular birth experience. They allowed me to make the decisions throughout, including resisting me when I initially asked for a drugs and a C-section because it went against what i had laid out in my birth plan.

Anyway, my two cents on the matter.

diber said...

I had a pretty good hospital experience. Though I like the IDEA of alternate birthing options, I don't have the guts to do it myself. I liked the hospital dealing with all my mess and a button to press for a nurse to take care of me.

You're right, though, sensitivity was a key issue. I wanted a natural delivery, but when my water broke at 36 weeks, they at least put me on pitocin to finish me off. I think I must have been laboring for a while without realizing it (I just thought it was BraxtonHicks, and we had company so I wasn't paying attention to frequency). When they started the pitocin I delivered less than 6 hours later. It was too fast for any pain meds, though I did ask for the anesthesiologist at one point. My OB was very encouraging, though. Sensitively reminding my desire about a natural birth, encouraging me that I done so well thus far. That was right before transition, and I was able to have an (almost) med free birth.

I'm sure many hospitals would've gone into panic mode when I arrived 18 hours after my water had broken (having never given birth before I didn't realize that that was had happened at 2 am, since it was just a trickle and not what I was expecting for 4 more weeks). But the hospital was very calm, monitoring me, but letting me be, as well.

I'm glad you wrote this post, because sometimes I feel guilty for having preferred the hospital option. Like I'm selling out to the establishment. Oh well. Whatever.

Anonymous said...

I'm nobody's hero, and I believe, to an extent, in better living through chemistry. There was no question that I was going to deliver my daughter in a hospital (one with a level five NICU), and my husband and I high-fived during our childbirth class when we found out that we could get the epidural pretty early on during labor. When I tell people this, sometimes I do get a look that seems to say either I'm a cheater or a traitor to the billions of women throughout history who smiled through the pain. But, I slept through most of labor and woke up the next morning rested and ready to push.

In many ways, I had the birth experience lots of women dream of--relatively pain free, and I was able to concentrate fully on the joy of delivering my daughter. Am I a cheater for having that experience in a hospital? Maybe, but so what? Now that I'm 25 weeks pg with my second daughter, I can only hope that we're that lucky this time around.

sasha said...

thanks for this blog
here is a blog about women
heath tubal reversal
and pregnancy

http://www.mybabydoc.com/blog/
tubal reversal

Tubal Ligation Reversal said...

nice and great information...i like your way of thinking about pregnancy.
i want to share here that those women have done tubal ligation and wishing to give birth again then they must no need to worry...
visit mybabydoc.com and feel relaxed.