Wednesday, October 04, 2006

thoughts on the blog and a note to readers

I've been thinking a lot about blogging and its personal, professional, and pedagogical potential. This blog has a tendency toward the personal (obviously) but is not exactly a confessional (though, of course, it gets that way, too). I conceive of it as having a particular subject matter (widely defined) and do not stray much from it. I write about teaching, academic work, academic culture, and parenting. So there's a lot in my life that's not up here ever.

Lately a few people I know IRL have "confessed" that they read my blog. I just want to say that if you know me and read this, it's okay, I don't think it's wierd, I don't think it's prying. After all, I publish this stuff. And, really, it makes me happy when someone says they read my blog. And even happier when I get comments. I don't think of this as a personal journal. I think of it as communicating. So I want readers. Readers make me happy :)

My husband watched me commenting on other blogs recently and said "You're such a blogger." I'm not sure what connotations were attached to that, but it made me smile.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tons of people irl read my blog. Which I think is cool. Sometimes, though, I'll start telling someone something and they'll say, I know, I read your blog.

M said...

Hmmm, is you're such a blogger equivalent to you're a nerd or a dork? In which case, I say take it as a compliment, since, quite honestly, both of us are nerds!

L said...

I think only my husband, a blogger friend from Brazil, and my youngest sister-in-law (who's also an infrequent blogger) read my blog. I had an unfortunate "accident" happen last May that was AWFUL!! My mom (who's known from the beginning I had a blog) happend to find the browser open in our computer and she read my blog. A few days earlier I had done a very personal post in which I had said some things about here. She had an awful reaction (and she didn't fully grasp the meaning of the English either)...

Sorry for the long story. Other than events like that one, I love having readers too, whether they are from real life or cyberspace. For me blogging is all about communicating with people. I have to write a post about this.