Friday, November 17, 2006

and now for some whining about pregnancy

Obviously, it is often difficult to be a graduate student with a child. Especially in my situation because my husband has one of those jobs that he couldn't do without someone at home providing the "family work"--cleaning (but I am, admittedly, a bad housekeeper), cooking, child care, paying bills, balancing the checkbook, etc.

But, you know, it's also pretty hard to be a pregnant graduate student, too. This goes for any career, I'm sure, but people don't really talk about how hard it is to work while you're pregnant (and it varies tremendously from one woman to another). I experienced this with my first pregnancy, too--during the first three months I could hardly do anything because I was so sick and tired, which meant that I was much less productive and my worked piled up so I had a lot to catch up on when I felt better.

This one is harder because the sick and tired is persistently lingering on. I am almost 20 weeks pregnant and I am still throwing up. I thought maybe it was over this week but I started this morning heaving into the toilet. And now I have to work. And I have let things pile up so I have to work well and work efficiently. Ick. I keep waiting for the easy phase to start. I remember an easy phase before, but it is nowhere in sight right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whine away, lady! I'm so sorry that the nausea is hanging around. I wish I had some secret remedy to offer. Get some rest this weekend!

Leslie M-B said...

Amen! I'm sorry you're going through this. I had a terrific second trimester, but the first and third were troubled.

Take it easy whenever you can.