Wednesday, November 15, 2006

church sign

There is Baptist church in my university town with a huge, ever-changing sign on a busy street. I have always appreciated a well-thought church sign--sort of a "sentence sermon" I've heard it called. But the sentences on this sign puzzle me, and my husband and I have decided we should start collecting them to share with friends (The Rhetorical Situation crew should make a point to drive by it every so often). A few weeks ago, it read,

"The letter I is always in the middle of anxiety."
I have come up with several interpretations, but this is one I still fail to get.

This week, it reads,
"Faith is like driving in the fog."
Wow. So faith is extremely hazardous and should be avoided if at all possible.

I think that someone should call the church sign guy and give him some feedback. He needs help.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um...anxiety occurs when you focus on yourself, so think about God instead?

Anonymous said...

Ever heard of "blind faith"? I think that's what the sign writer means here. You have to be willing to let God do the seeing and rely on Him to lead you through the "fog" that is life...

Dr. Peters said...

Leann, I agree that it means we should have blind faith, but the simile here is seriously flawed and doesn't seem like particularly effective evangelism.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree that it could be written in a more effective way...

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that I don't care for church signs for this very reason...often it's embarrassing for those of us who actually attend church when there's a billboard that says, "Don't make me come down there"--God. So cheesy.

M said...

Maybe the sign guy needs to be reminded not to drive with his high beams on in the fog. I agree with you and Leann that he likely is referring to blind faith, but blind faith isn't supposed to be dangerous, is it?

L said...

These are very funny and interesting, keep 'em coming! :)

Amy Reads said...

Hi Sarah,
I find these sorts of things very interesting, because you don't often find it in my own faith, Roman Catholicism. We Catholics just figure that if we don't show up, confession's got our back anyhow.
:)
Ah, the beauty of sacred penitence.
Ciao,
Amy

harrogate said...

Church Signs are everywhere and always worthy of study. Harrogate wonders how much scholarly work as been done on these things, anyway? In his own home base of Western North Carolina, there is a county called Mitchell County where these signs are thicker than the tobacco fields for which that county is most famous.

Seems like "Blind Faith" is almost a redundant term, anyway. Thoguh there was, for a brief moment, a great Rock band that went by that name. They had Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker. Only one album before the egos got in the way.

But that one album is a must have. Great as the music is, the cover art may have it beat. Ahem. Rhetorically speaking.

Literacy-chic said...

You need to see The Church Sign Generator !