Friday, November 03, 2006

this is my career. this is my work. really.

This is not what I meant to write about this week, but something came up. My feelings are hurt.

I talked on the phone with my father-in-law last night, who is really a nice, well-meaning man, but somehow he hurts my feelings every time I talk on the phone with him. Last night he asked me if I had a regular job yet since all I am doing is writing a dissertation. He thinks I should work an 8-5, I guess (which I do, really, but, you know, it's different somehow). This is the same man who told me before my daughter was born that he thought mothers should not work outside the home until their children are in school, which I took as a direct criticism of my mothering (because it was). When I was in my master's program he also told me that I should get another job in addition to school. This summer when I told him about the class I was teaching, he said, "I'm glad you're finally at the stage that you can teach." I've been teaching for five years. I told him last night that I am teaching now, and he seemed surprised again. Then he asked if it was all day long, 8-3. I guess he was thinking grade school. I told him that, no, I teach one class and work on my research and writing the rest of the time. He said he couldn't imagine why someone would take two or three years to write a book (that's how I have explained the dissertation to them). I told him that most people take that long and that I don't do only that. I also have my teaching, and I am trying to publish some articles before I graduate. (And raise one, and soon two kids, for crying out loud) Oh, he said, so you might be making some money before you graduate, then. I explained to him that you don't really make money in academic publishing, that it is a requirement of your job. Well, that doesn't make much sense, he said. His wife, my mother-in-law, is a teacher's aid and she makes the same amount of money that I make (which is pitiful and unfair to her and others who have that job but beside the point right now). If the legitimacy of my work is measured in income, which it seems to be to him, then why is my work less legitimate than hers? Or maybe it is not legitimate because it is school, not "real" work. They still have the idea that my career has not yet begun, not that I am currently working within my career. This is my career. And my job. And I do get paid. A little. Or maybe I'm just too old to be in school. I should be done by now.

Whatever it is, I feel like my work is completely devalued. When I went to the conference last weekend, it happened to be in the city where my brother-in-law lives, so we all planned a get-together after I presented my paper. Several of my in-laws came, and we had a nice weekend. No one asked me about my conference. Not one time. The only question they ever ask me is when I will be done. I usually let things like this roll off my back, but last night when he told me I should get a job, it hurt me badly.

10 comments:

Christopher Evans said...

Damn the Man. I am proud of you. "Real" jobs are overrated. They suck.

Dr. Peters said...

Thank you. That helps.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I'm sorry he doesn't understand... I understand. After my co-edited publication of a work was released, my father-in-law asked me who would read such a book. He thought it was funny (literally, he laughed - hard) that I worked so hard on something so few would read. I've also been teased repeatedly by he and my brother-in-law for working on a "Piled Higher and Deeper" degree. The apparent "uselessness" of what I do is always reiterated. I'm always tempted to reply with something sarcastic about their jobs in corporate America, but have always refrained. It's getting harder... Good luck at future family gatherings!
-g

Courtney said...

Been there also. My mom once told me I make a lot of money for only working 3 hours a week as a TA. And the in-laws of course assume that I'm readily available for any errand since I don't work a "regular" job. Irking, to say the least.

Hang in there.

M said...

This was an ongoing thing between C and his dad. The entire time we lived in NY C's dad constantly asked "When are you going to get a real job?" And on top of that, he didn't recognize my "real job" as a "real job." It wasn't until we moved to TX and C began adjuncting full-time that his dad let up. It is incredibly frustrating to not have our families appreciate our work. Like you the most common question I get is when will I be finished. No one seems to care what my topic is, how my research is going, or any other pertinent topics. It's hard being an academic in a non-academic family.

Unknown said...

Mr. Geeky's family is the same way. My mom is like that too, but not as bad. Mr. Geeky's brother is medical doctor and they happened to get their degrees at the same time. At Thanksgiving shortly thereafter, they had assigned seating indicated by people's names on the back of paper plates. On Mr. Geeky's brother's plate, they had writing "Dr." Mr. Geeky said, "Hey, I'm a Dr. too." They grudgingly wrote doctor on his plate, but they didn't get it. At nearly every family event, Mr. Geeky's brother gets asked about his work while Mr. Geeky isn't.

My family, on the other hand, always asks him and even encouraged me to finish my degree just for the sake of finishing it. You have to ignore those people and seek more supportive ones.

And Christopher is right--real jobs suck. Maybe they're just jealous.

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable. Really. I think there's a lot of this going around out there, but that doesn't mean you should listen to it or let it affect you. They just don't understand.

Anonymous said...

I cannot relate to your situation, nor can I offer anything substantial on the subject. Despite that, I'd very much like you to know that your students value you, and appreciate the work that you are doing.

Yes, the summer O'Connor class is the only class of yours I've taken, but you have given me--and, through your blog, continue to give me--so much to be thankful for. It has been the joint effort of my family and my teachers that has truly shaped my life, and given me the chance of a beautiful future. Particularly those teachers like you, who are genuinely interested and involved in teaching; who care enough about their students to not only work to better them, but to better themselves (as teachers, as scholars, and as people) as well.

The influence teachers have had on my life has been so great that, as I've already told you, I want to be one myself. I don't flatter myself and imagine that, when I do teach, I will touch many lives to the extent that mine has been touched. However, I hope that some lives will be made better for my efforts.

There will certainly be people who don't appreciate your work, the way you work, the things you teach, etc. But there will also be those of us who appreciate you a great deal, and can't put a dollar sign (or anything of the like) next to how much we value both you, and what you do.

-Mindy E

Dr. Peters said...

Mindy, Thank you so much for your comment. Nothing could have been better.
Sarah

Amy Reads said...

Hi you,
I remember running into some family friends while I was teaching high school, and the husband honestly said, "so, you're teaching. You must have a lot of free time, huh?" When I explained to him that I taught from 7:30-3:30, monitored two clubs--one of which was Speech and Debate, which meant long weekends at tournaments--had after- and before-school meetings, and taught all seniors so had over 100 papers, essay tests, and college essays to read at any given time, he looked dumbfounded. And that was a supposed "real job"!
My parents actually swing the opposite direction; every time I tell them I've joined another committee, they remind me that I have a dissertation to finish. And it's true. What I think is the worst thing about graduate school--the ABD stage in particular--is not the unpaid labor, but the continuous realization of Work To Be Done. Like, for example, right now, as I type this, I am thinking of the 600 pages of Vanity Fair I need to finish rereading, or the 8 student essays left to grade, or the 3 chapters of the diss left to write, the dirty kitchen that needs cleaning, the dog that needs loving...
It's never done, is it?
To wit, *hugs*. Hang in there. Anytime this gets you down, reread Mindy's post. That will forever help.
Ciao,
Amy