Monday, July 31, 2006

I've had a rough year

Nothing exceptionally terrible has happened--unless you count the miscarriage--but I have felt generally off for the past year. I have had several major external stressors, but I think a lot of it comes down to just not feeling right in my own skin. I was depressed last fall after RB weaned and I went to counseling for a while, which helped. My hormones changed because I stopped nursing and I also had to change birth control pills, which made things so much worse that I just stopped taking them altogether. I got pregnant (on purpose--not because I quit the pills) in March and then miscarried at the end of May, and that has been another hormonal upheaval. In the process I have gained 15 pounds. That's a lot of pounds in a short time. My body has been in so many different shapes since October 2003--I got pregnant, and then had a baby, lost all the baby weight, breastfed, stopped breastfeeding, got pregnant, got not-pregnant, and generally ate too much because I have generally felt like crap for a year. And I look like hell. Or at least like some other person that I don't recognize as myself. My weight has plateued--I'm not gaining anymore--but I have not been able to stick to a change in eating habits and activity that would allow me to get back to my normal weight. I just feel bad.

3 comments:

L said...

Oh, it sounds like you've had a really tough year, I'd be depressed and out of sorts too! And then there's the dissertation to make it even worse... I hope things can improve soon and that you're able to find things that make you feel happier and more energized. If having someone who "hears you" helps at all, here I am, reading your blog every day! (it helps me too!)

LeLe said...

This reminds me of a Sara Groves song, "Less Like Scars." Read my
post.

hallsarah204@gmail.com said...

Why are you so stressed and depressed? What about if you hire the most professional paper writers to ease your academic year? Even if the semester is over, you still can turn to them for professional writing assistance!