Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Blog

I'm pleased to see that the blog is going swimmingly. I anticipated this being a lot of me talking to myself, but I was comfortable with that being a journaling veteran. What I was out for, though, was an experience of really participating in the blog world for personal, professional, and academic purposes. I've been posting to a message board for about two years now, and I am interested in how people communicate through that medium and fashion their identities through their comments and through the little add-ons like siggies and links and other graphics. Blogging opens those possibilities endlessly. Geeky Mom (I really like her!) is talking today about a program that collects all the comments you have made on other people's blogs into one place. There's a lot to consider with that, too. As one commenter observed, you might want to make comments on other blogs that you want certain readers to see but not necessarily all of your blog readers. So there's the option of selecting comments to include and some to exclude, fashioning your identity in other ways. This is great stuff! I've got my tracker down at the bottom (it looks like a little planet--Darcy, you should get one of those) and I'm seeing people surfing in from all over the world, and I've only been running for a week. And while I have avoided the silly tags that people used on my message board (mostly because I didn't want to pay the membership fee required to post them) I have succombed to the temptation on the blog already (notice the Terror Alert and the picture of George from Grey's Anatomy).

I still have the promised post about parenting and school and showing weakness on the burner, but I'm really tired and just swamped after RB's illness. I think I'll call her school and check on her now...

No comments: