Saturday, February 18, 2006

Momentum found...cue sick child

After venting my frustrations on Thursday, I felt a surge of motivation and put together a beautiful list of primary sources along with a nice (but vague) paragraph that assembles them into something that could conceivably be a fantastic dissertation topic. Cue cell phone: "Mrs. Mommy, this is the Weekday School. RB has just vomited all over the floor." Momentum gone.

Fortunately, I held onto my high spirits, feeling a sense of accomplishment over my booklist and the email that had come just before notifying me that the panel I proposed for a big national conference had been accepted. Miraculously, after picking up sick child, feeding her dinner, and then cleaning partially digested food out of the carpet an hour later, I managed to get about 150 pages into Barbara Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible. I'm actually not feeling too sorry for myself because RB has recovered quickly and I don't feel like I lost too much work--I've had a lot of "thinking work" to do, and that can be done to some extent even while caring for little sick one all day Friday. And I never expect to accomplish any school work on the weekends, anyway. That time is usually spent playing with Weebles and making animal noises.

I have things to say about Kingsolver and working from home, but those things will most likely be delayed for a few days because Grey's Anatomy comes on tomorrow night and I am seriously obsessed with that show.

No comments: