Monday, February 20, 2006

Finally doing better

I think RB has finally recovered enough to go back to school. We went to the pediatrician today because she's been sick for several days--well, actually, she got sick, got bettter for two days, then got really sick. And, of course, the doctor examined her and said that, yes, indeed, she has a stomach virus. That's all. That happens a lot, and it's really frustrating. It feels like a waste of time and money to go to the doctor to have what you already know confirmed and to have nothing to show for it. But I know from experience that it's best to have the doctor take a look because what I see as just a bug that will go away on its own could be something more serious.

Yesterday was a bad day. Here's something about being a working parent: When RB got sick on Thursday I was concentrating on all the work I was missing. When she had to stay home on Friday but acted like she was fine, I was still thinking about all the work I was missing. But on Sunday she got really sick and I no longer had any concern about work. There's a line somewhere, and once it is crossed, nothing matters but the sick little girl, and I would do anything just to help her feel better. Today she got better, and she acted like herself again, and I still didn't care about work--I was happy to have her back to (almost) normal and to try to make her day better, which included something called "Elmopalooza"--found it at Blockbuster, never saw her more content. And I was pleasantly surprised when John Stewart made an appearance. Can't be bad if I get to see John Stewart. It turned into a good day, and RB showed me her appreciation for taking care of her in her little ways.

Yesterday was so bad and I was so exhausted that I thought even Grey's Anatomy wouldn't cheer me up. I was wrong! It was great :) I was sitting on my bed talking to the television. Love it! Last week I ran across an icon for McDreamy, but this week I love George, so I had to find a new one.

No comments: