Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A step in the right direction?

I just had an email exchange with my advisor, in which I had an easy opportunity to take an out from meeting with him until February. But I said I want to meet Friday. I am not ready for a meeting, but this will force me to put together some coherent ideas and articulate a real direction, even if there's nothing in writing. Otherwise I would allow myself to put it off and delay progress yet again. I have a knack for doing real work that is not the work I need to do. So I can justify, for example, throwing myself into teaching this week and spending more hours than are actually necessary while letting the dissertation fall by the wayside again. But I'm not letting myself justify it. I have committed to a meeting in three days and will have something to say at that meeting (even as I am still stuck at home with no child care because of the "ice storm" that I have yet to see). Or I will sit there and say, "uhhh....."

Edited to add: The ice finally got to me...brrrr.....

3 comments:

Literacy-chic said...

Teaching frequently takes over dissertating for me--whether accidently or by design. And trust me, the ice storm is real over here!

supadiscomama said...

I have a similar meeting on Thursday re: Diss Proposal. I hope we both have at least a few smart things to say! :)

AcadeMama said...

I'm sure you'll both do fabulous!!